Learning with Lily

Learning with Lily

About Me

After a failed IVF in 2007 I thought I'd never be a mother. Then our second IVF worked and Lily was born in December of that year. Twins Tim and Joe followed shortly after (again via IVF) in March 2012.

Then - against all odds - I conceived a natural 'surprise' baby no.4 in early 2013... Evie was born in October of that year.

What else is interesting? I am an ex sufferer of anxiety and depression, my hubby is 28 years older than me (but I'm not weird... honest)... well, not that weird anyway

Gill Harvey

Follow me on Twitter: @4TinyTearaways

Sunday, 9 March 2014

Growing into a family

Our family has been through a few stages.  Lily, on her own, being indulged with time and fun... Lily and baby twins, when we were constantly scared of (a) Lily feeling bad/neglected and (b) Lily accidentally squashing one of the tiny boys. 

Then came toddling boys and the fear that Lily would knock them over, or squash the bump that Evie was growing in.

More recently, we've had a bit of a 'twin backlash' - will Tim smack Joe?  Will Joe bite Timmy?  Will both the boys squash Lily? Will Lily slap Joe? 

My latest fear is: will Lily squash Evie when cuddling and kissing?  The girl doesn't know her own strength at times, "look mummy! She likes it, doesn't she!"

There's also been the Great Pushchair War - Tim and Joe constantly fighting over Lily's dolly pushchair, both absolutely obsessed with running it around the garden (Joe always pushes his cars and fire engine around in it).  Fights and refereeing, over-the-top tears and tantrums...

Suddenly, yesterday, I had a glimpse of (I hope) the future.

We took the children to the playground in Eymoutiers, mainly because we'd impulse bought Lily a new bike in the supermarket, and she has NO CHANCE of riding it successfully in our bumpy garden.  At the playground, there's a tarmacked basketball court - never used - that we knew she would be able to cycle around as she got used to pedalling.

We took the infamous pushchair and Evie's red Maclaren hand-me-down.  And, suddenly, the children were playing together!  Lily was cycling around (occasionally crashing), Timmy was chasing her, pushing the enormous Maclaren pushchair, and Joe was running around with his little pink version, happy as a lamb. 

And what was I doing?  I was hands-free, baby in her seat at my feet, watching them in the sunshine.  Suddenly, I could breathe, and, as I watched my little ones chuckle and bond, I realised the potential joy of the coming summer and a future with fewer fights and fledgling friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment